Skip to main content

Review: Flowers for Algernon

Flowers for Algernon Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A very immersive and thought-provoking story

Why did I give this book 5 stars? What can I write about it? Well, I floated between 4 and 5 stars. What made me tip the scale was my immediate feeling that I was an observer in the story, not solely a reader. I found the transformation of the protagonist, Charlie Gordon - as illustrated by his writing in his progress reports - to be an especially effective narrative device.

The story was so organic and straight-forward, that I felt transported to another time and place. Perhaps that result was also due to my empathy with the protagonist Charlie Gordon and my identification with the academic environment, where most of the narrative took place. Some members of my extended family are mentally challenged. I couldn't help but think of them when I read about Charlie. Also, my dad worked with mentally challenged young adults at a clinic when he was a college student. He was one of the few assistants who would bring the young adults on field trips. I graduated from the the same college as my dad. Here is what my dad wrote about the clinic:
"Back then many of the patients were there 24/7 and some were there permanently so it required a full time staff with shift workers. I believe now it is only a daytime clinic and the words mentally retarded have been removed. It was a nice job with no stress and much of my time was taking kids to bowling alleys, skating rinks and just hiking outdoors especially around Turkey Creek [Joplin Missouri]."
The research laboratories of "Beekman College" reminded me very much of my own engagement in psychological undergraduate research at my alma matter. The setting of Beekman College also reminded me of how I was inspired to choose higher education as a career field. Again, while reading this story, I was transported to a different time and place which in turn, echoed imprints from my past.

Whether it may be a novel, painting, music, or other form of art, whenever I can identify with the creative expression, I am immersed into its narrative. This is what "Flowers for Algernon" did for me.

View all my reviews

Comments

  1. I didn't initially realize the short story was first published in 1959 (the book, 1966), so one of my first reactions was even though it was obviously a fictional story, how did this human research/experiment on Charlie pass "Beekman College's" Institutional Review Board (IRB), Human Participants Committee, etc.? Then I thought about it some more and refreshed my memory that IRBs weren't set into motion until 1974, see https://hrpo.wustl.edu/participants/institutional-review-board/ .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, This is Grace from the US office of operations for the Korean Literature Review Contest.

    I'm writing to you in response to one of your Goodreads posts regarding City of Ash and Red by Hye-young Pyun

    This book has been selected as a designated book for the 2021 Korean Literature Review Contest.



    The Korean Literature Review Contest, which marks the 17th edition this year, is a time-honored global literature contest hosted by the LTI Korea.

    It encourages overseas readers to share their reviews and thoughts on literary works by Korean authors in various ways such as text, video, audio, drawing, or art forms of any kind.

    This year, 13 countries are hosting the “2021 Korean literature review contest” including the US, the UK, France, Spain, China, Taiwan, Azerbaijan, Japan, Russia, Colombia, Brazil, Vietnam and Bangladesh.



    The U.S. office of operations of the Korean Literature Review Contest is looking for local participants to the Korean Literature Review Contest.

    Anyone currently living in the U.S. who is interested in Korean literature can participate in this contest and share their reviews by e-mail after reading Korean literary works selected by the LTI Korea.

    Participants are free to express their review in text, video and others. Winners will receive non-cash rewards or prize cash.



    This is a multi-entry contest, meaning that you can submit multiple reviews and it is very easy to apply.

    So I hope you could apply and get good results such as prize money. Please see below link for the detailed guide of the contest;

    *Contest application guide in the U.S.: https://www.ltikorea.or.kr/en/board/notice_en/boardView.do?bbsIdx=13992&pageIndex=1&searchCondition=&searchKeyword=

    *Official Instagram of the Korean Literature Review Contest: https://www.instagram.com/klrc_official/



    It would be of great help to us if you could share the contest information on your SNS Account(Twitter, Facebook, Instagram).

    If you don't mind, it would be of great help if you could share a related link directly to your promotional post on your social media after you upload.



    We hope to develop a wider audience to Korean literature in the U.S. through this contest and also hope that this contest would establish itself as a new window to American reading audiences with interesting reviews.

    We would like to ask for your active participation and support so that many readers in the U.S. who are interested in literature can have the opportunity to join a good contest.

    I look forward to receiving a positive response from you regarding the promotion for the review contest. I would appreciate a reply at your earliest convenience.



    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chicago Highlights

A few weeks ago I attended the Innovative Users Group Conference in Chicago, Illinois. Even though I had visited the " Windy City " a few times before, this was my first time to have an extended stay downtown. I initially had some hesitations about getting around in a big city for a conference, as the largest conference location I had been at previously was in Minneapolis and I was in walking distance from most things I needed at the time. However, I can honestly say that the Conference and visit to Chicago were definite blessings. This travelogue and diary of sorts is probably mainly of interest to me, but maybe I might have some gems of insight to share. 4/17 - left from Ottumwa IA to Chicago via Amtrak's California Zephyr . It had been about 10 years since I had traveled via Amtrak, and this was my first time to have a major hub as a destination. It was an amazing experience to walk between the Amtrak behemoth engines at Union Station - with the sights of their

(The Two Towers of?) Eureka Springs Arkansas

A few weeks ago my wife and I took a trip to Eureka Springs Arkansas. I hadn't visited there in approximately 30 years, but it still seemed the same, at least according to my mind's eye. I'm sure that the city being placed on the National Register of Historic Places is a big reason for the sameness over the past four decades. We stayed at the Oak Crest Cottages in a pleasant Monet's Garden themed cabin . There is a uniqueness and authenticity to Eureka Springs that I haven't experienced at very many other locations in the States. Much of Eureka Springs feels like being transported to a time past, especially at turn-of-the-century landmarks such as the Crescent Hotel, the Carnegie Public Library , and the former Roxy Theater.   My wife thought that a visit to Eureka Springs wouldn't be complete without taking one of the advertised "ghost tours" at one of the local haunts (I know, very bad pun), and I was game to visit one of the old hotels. Anyway, w