Skip to main content

Made anywhere but here..

I used to think it was silly when the WalMart Sam's Choice brand placed "Made in the U.S.A." on pop cans and cookies. How could these products be made anywhere else? Well, I guess you never know nowadays. Low and behold last week on a return trip from Maryville MO I noticed a package of Mini Chips Ahoy labeled as being made in Mexico. Also, a few months ago I needed to find some non-latex bandages for my wife. Out of curiosity I first checked out the Band-Aid brand - made in China. Another brand, Curad was also made in China, but I felt relieved and happy when I found out that Nexcare bandages were still made in the U.S.A. Hopefully these will continue to be.

I thought that food and drink, and health and beauty aids might be the last bastions of made in the U.S.A. but apparently this isn't even the case anymore...

P.S. My purpose with this post isn't to encourage isolationist type thinking, but that many things we take for granted may not necessarily be so. As a society we need to become more aware of the status quo of many products formerly made in this country now being made elsewhere.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Flowers for Algernon

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes My rating: 5 of 5 stars A very immersive and thought-provoking story Why did I give this book 5 stars? What can I write about it? Well, I floated between 4 and 5 stars. What made me tip the scale was my immediate feeling that I was an observer in the story, not solely a reader. I found the transformation of the protagonist, Charlie Gordon - as illustrated by his writing in his progress reports - to be an especially effective narrative device. The story was so organic and straight-forward, that I felt transported to another time and place. Perhaps that result was also due to my empathy with the protagonist Charlie Gordon and my identification with the academic environment, where most of the narrative took place. Some members of my extended family are mentally challenged. I couldn't help but think of them when I read about Charlie. Also, my dad worked with mentally challenged young adults at a clinic when he was...

Chicago Highlights

A few weeks ago I attended the Innovative Users Group Conference in Chicago, Illinois. Even though I had visited the " Windy City " a few times before, this was my first time to have an extended stay downtown. I initially had some hesitations about getting around in a big city for a conference, as the largest conference location I had been at previously was in Minneapolis and I was in walking distance from most things I needed at the time. However, I can honestly say that the Conference and visit to Chicago were definite blessings. This travelogue and diary of sorts is probably mainly of interest to me, but maybe I might have some gems of insight to share. 4/17 - left from Ottumwa IA to Chicago via Amtrak's California Zephyr . It had been about 10 years since I had traveled via Amtrak, and this was my first time to have a major hub as a destination. It was an amazing experience to walk between the Amtrak behemoth engines at Union Station - with the sights of their ...

You Can Go Your Own Way

I believe that some problems in our society may be due to not enough time carved out for, or appreciation for having creative outlets. Also, the desire to be precise over all else. Precision is important, of course, but I see an abundance of online comments and threads about how to play the guitar or bass exactly like so and so. When I was learning guitar and bass as a teenager, there was tablature notation, but even that wasn't 100% precise. There are so many Youtube videos with note-for-note duplication and or attempts to do so, and unfortunately there are plenty of viewers who criticize others for not being 100% on the mark. To a "T" my guitar and bass player heroes would recommend for players to take the best of what they had heard, but in the end carve out a unique identity.