Skip to main content

Reflections on Libraries

It has been brewing in my head to write down some reflections of library memories. What aspects of various libraries have stayed in my mind over the past forty years, and some aspects that perhaps led me to become what I am today, an academic librarian.🎓🖳📚 I tend to focus on libraries as place and materials, but that is not intended to be a slight of any librarians who may have helped me in the past.

Mid to late 1970's

Halstead Kansas Public Library - As with many children, dinosaurs were a favorite of mine. I recall this library having a good collection of children's books on dinosaurs, and my family and I going to a slide presentation on fossils by an area high school teacher (very cool!). I remember stating in first grade that I wanted to be a paleontologist when I grew up, and repeatedly asking my dad all kinds of questions of the winners of hypothetical dinosaur fights. My dad was patient but even he grew tired of my questions (thanks and sorry, Dad!).

Newton Kansas Public Library - One of the first things that struck me as different about this library was in close proximity there was a Greco-Roman style fountain/pool and a full size train locomotive (the fence wasn't around it at the time). There was an elevator down to the children's section, which I thought was cool. I remember my first exposure to the Brothers Grimm tales was from a book in this collection. However, my main memory from the library was checking out a anthologies of Batman and Tarzan comic strips. The illustrations of the skulls of Tarzan's parents and the skeleton of the baby ape really drew my attention. I also remember the Star Wars novelization. I wasn't at the age to read it, at least very well, but I thought for sure that there was a story on how the physical Darth Vader became the mechanical Darth Vader.

Late 1970's and early 1980's

Enterprise Alabama Public Library - My mom took my brother and me on frequent walks downtown to the library and other places (thanks, Mom!). I recall checking out a book about King Tutankhamen for a reading promotion program. I don't think that I read all of it but maybe said that I did (sorry, Mom!). I mostly was drawn to the book by its cover with the elaborate and ornate death mask of King Tut. I imagine that many kids were. It was always interesting to walk past the Boll Weevil monument!

Fort Hood Texas Community Libraries - I remember my brother and I taking frequent trips to a branch close to our housing complex. It was a large portable building and is most likely no longer there. My main memory is checking out some historical photos on a stereoscope. The librarian seemed concerned about my brother and I spending too much time using the stereoscope. I also recall checking out some books about magic tricks. I remember going to the larger main library with my dad and him copying test booklets for exams. I can still recall the smell of the Xerox machines!

Mid to late 1980's

Bad Kreuznach "B.K." American Post, Germany - My first job at a library was as a work study position at the American High School. We didn't have an automated library system - all checkouts were done on cards. The librarian, Ms. "T", thought that I had a good voice and asked me to tape some readings of children's books. She also gave me a parting gift of B.K. pewter display plates (thanks, Ms. "T"!). I remember a Newsweek magazine cover about George H.W. Bush catching my attention. I also recall bandmates and I photocopying guitar tab sheet music at the post library. I'm sure we were pushing the Fair Use doctrine!

Early to mid 1990's

Cameron University - My first experience with academic libraries and library electronic resources! I found the Readers Guide to Periodical Literature on CD-ROM and printed off a ream of results to bring to English Comp I class. The other students wanted to know where they could find it. I felt like I had found the Holy Grail of library information! The library also had a mastodon tusk display; the mastodon was found in a professor's yard. The fascinating topic of paleontology made another appearance at my favorite type of place. 🐘

Late 1990's

A few years after I transferred to Missouri Southern State University from Cameron, I worked as a student worker at George A. Spiva Library. I worked primarily in periodicals but also with the reference librarian. Both of the librarians I worked for encouraged me to check out library school, which I did! I enjoyed all of the work, even sorting through extra city newspapers donated by Hastings. I especially enjoyed a project helping a business professor verify library business publication holdings, such as the Million Dollar Directory.

University of Missouri-Columbia Libraries - late 1990's. The old section of Ellis Library has many nooks and crannies, I recall finding the book 2001: Filming the Future in one of the less visited sections. A friend, Troy, let me borrow his laptop with Word Perfect 5 for DOS, which came in handy for some late night projects at the library! It was also cool to be able to utilize the engineering & technology, law, and journalism libraries. Not library related but I took a few trips to the reptile exhibit in the old library school haunts at Stewart Hall. I never made it to feeding time though!


Thanks for taking me to the library, Mom and Dad!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Flowers for Algernon

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes My rating: 5 of 5 stars A very immersive and thought-provoking story Why did I give this book 5 stars? What can I write about it? Well, I floated between 4 and 5 stars. What made me tip the scale was my immediate feeling that I was an observer in the story, not solely a reader. I found the transformation of the protagonist, Charlie Gordon - as illustrated by his writing in his progress reports - to be an especially effective narrative device. The story was so organic and straight-forward, that I felt transported to another time and place. Perhaps that result was also due to my empathy with the protagonist Charlie Gordon and my identification with the academic environment, where most of the narrative took place. Some members of my extended family are mentally challenged. I couldn't help but think of them when I read about Charlie. Also, my dad worked with mentally challenged young adults at a clinic when he was

Chicago Highlights

A few weeks ago I attended the Innovative Users Group Conference in Chicago, Illinois. Even though I had visited the " Windy City " a few times before, this was my first time to have an extended stay downtown. I initially had some hesitations about getting around in a big city for a conference, as the largest conference location I had been at previously was in Minneapolis and I was in walking distance from most things I needed at the time. However, I can honestly say that the Conference and visit to Chicago were definite blessings. This travelogue and diary of sorts is probably mainly of interest to me, but maybe I might have some gems of insight to share. 4/17 - left from Ottumwa IA to Chicago via Amtrak's California Zephyr . It had been about 10 years since I had traveled via Amtrak, and this was my first time to have a major hub as a destination. It was an amazing experience to walk between the Amtrak behemoth engines at Union Station - with the sights of their

(The Two Towers of?) Eureka Springs Arkansas

A few weeks ago my wife and I took a trip to Eureka Springs Arkansas. I hadn't visited there in approximately 30 years, but it still seemed the same, at least according to my mind's eye. I'm sure that the city being placed on the National Register of Historic Places is a big reason for the sameness over the past four decades. We stayed at the Oak Crest Cottages in a pleasant Monet's Garden themed cabin . There is a uniqueness and authenticity to Eureka Springs that I haven't experienced at very many other locations in the States. Much of Eureka Springs feels like being transported to a time past, especially at turn-of-the-century landmarks such as the Crescent Hotel, the Carnegie Public Library , and the former Roxy Theater.   My wife thought that a visit to Eureka Springs wouldn't be complete without taking one of the advertised "ghost tours" at one of the local haunts (I know, very bad pun), and I was game to visit one of the old hotels. Anyway, w